Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Surprise postseason heroes don't overwhelm La Russa: World Series Chatter

Monday, Rangers owner Nolan Ryan was laughing off an error from Sunday's first pitch.

bush-ryan-2011series-horiz-mct.jpgView full sizeRangers owner -- and Hall of Fame pitcher -- Nolan Ryan couldn't handle the first pitch thrown by former President George W. Bush before Sunday's Game 4 of the World Series, forcing a photographer to quickly get out of the way.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Clubhouse confidential: Cardinals manager Tony La Russa was asked if the postseason is a good time to evaluate a player.

"I think if you're productive at this time of year, you give it special attention," said La Russa. "If a guy has not been a good run producer and has a hot series, I don't think you automatically say, 'if we get this guy he's going to be special.'

"I think you pay attention to it, but there are other things that go into it."

My bad, Mr. President: Former President George W. Bush threw out the first pitch in Game 4 Sunday night. Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan, Rangers president, was his catcher, but dropped Bush's delivery.

"I booted it," said Ryan with a laugh. "I'd love to be able to sit here and make a bunch of excuses, but he threw an 80-mph running fastball and I was using a catcher's mitt. I should have brought a glove."

Eighty mph for George W?

"I guess it was," said Ryan. "I think that's probably as hard as he can throw. But I'm glad it was me instead of him."

Stat of the day: This is the first time since the 1997 World Series between the Indians and Marlins where teams have alternated wins through the first four games.

Source: http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2011/10/surprise_postseason_heroes_don.html

Occupational pensions Nuclear weapons Savings rates Liza Minnelli United Nations Real estate

No comments:

Post a Comment