Sunday, January 23, 2011

Why I left London to live in Leeds

Formerly of Stanmore, history teacher Mike Lewis, 33, moved to Leeds eight years ago. Studying in Manchester, he had made many friends from Leeds. "I spent a lot of time visiting them and although I moved back to London after uni, nothing was keeping me there and I made the decision that I wanted to be in Leeds. I really loved the nightlife of the city and the way the centre feels small. Leeds had undergone a regeneration when I started visiting and it has become a proper cosmopolitan city."

He now lives in an upmarket two-bedroom apartment in Shadwell, north Leeds, close to his synagogue, the Sinai. "Renting property here is really affordable," he says. "I can't imagine what I'd get for the same price in London. I keep an eye on London property prices and they are staggering. They are double the price."

Mr Lewis accepts that job opportunities are not available for everyone outside the capital. "I am lucky that I'm a teacher and there are schools everywhere. I can live where I want."

He has no plans to leave Yorkshire - "I would very much like to stay here. I've thought a number of times that maybe I should move back down to London. Last year I even went as far as going for a job interview in London. But as soon as I got in the car and started driving down the M1 I knew I didn't really want the job.

"Here is where I want to settle."

Source: http://www.thejc.com/community/community-life/43992/why-i-left-london-live-leeds

Premier League Florida Conservation Pakistan cricket betting scandal Egypt Botswana

No comments:

Post a Comment